Phil is founder and Director of popular Hatton Garden jewellers, London DE.
1. What is London DE?
We are a bespoke fine jeweller specialising in emerald, ruby, sapphire and diamond jewellery and loose stones, based at 25 Hatton Garden.
2. What is your role, and what does it entail?
I'm the founder and director of the business. I set the company up in 2013 as an ethical jewellery business, focusing on coloured gemstones and handmade fine jewellery. We have a small team of 4 people, managing all aspects of the business, and we exclusively use local workshops to handcraft our jewellery creations.
3. Where are you based in Hatton Garden, and how long have you been here?
We were located at 88-90 Hatton Garden for over 5 years, before moving to our new sales offices at 25 Hatton Garden (on the corner of Hatton Garden and Greville Street) in 2019.
4. What sets your business apart from other local jewellers?
We specialise in coloured gemstones, including Colombian emeralds, sourced from the top of their supply chains. We operate a hybrid business model, with an e-commerce website and a sales office in Hatton Garden for face-to-face meetings.
5. What has been your proudest moment since working at London DE?
In 2018 we were fortunate enough to win the National Association of Jewellers' Awards in the category of "Jewellery & Watch Supplier of the Year." We have also won a number of other industry and SME awards over the past 5 years.
6. What’s your favourite thing about working in Hatton Garden?
I love the vibrancy of Hatton Garden, its central location and the food stalls along Leather Lane - which offer a great range of authentic street food at lunch time.
7. Have you (or any friends or family) made a jewellery purchase in Hatton? What did you get, and what was the occasion?
We are a jeweller! I have created jewellery pieces for my wife using our local craftspeople and stone dealers in and around the Garden over the years.
8. Where’s your favourite place to get a coffee in Hatton?
My favourite coffee shop is the Department for Coffee and Social Affairs on Leather Lane.
9. Where’s your favourite place to get lunch in Hatton?
I like to visit the small street stalls on Leather Lane, sampling as many as possible.
10. Where’s your favourite place to get a drink in Hatton?
In summer time the roof terrace at the Argyle is the perfect place to relax with a drink after work. My favourite cosy winter pub is Ye Olde Mitre, which is one of the little treasures of Hatton Garden - and I believe one of the oldest pubs in London.