Changes to apprenticeships
Apprenticeships are changing - we hosted an exclusive breakfast briefing for businesses to hear about the changes.
Apprenticeships are changing and the government are implementing a compulsory payroll tax for UK employers which will fund new apprenticeship training from April 2017. This will mean that employers who have a salary bill of £3 million or more will be charged at a rate of 0.5%, which they can offset against apprenticeships and up-skilling of existing staff. For those organisations who have a salary bill of less than £3 million, will still be required to make a 10% contribution to the cost of the training they have identified and the government will offset the further 90%, However, depending on the size of the organisation and the training identified will determine the amount which will be charged. This will mean that FREE apprenticeship services will no longer be available from 7th April 2017 and all employers, big or small, will incur costs for any future training.
In partnership with Free2Learn, we want to make sure that our businesses know what the changes are and can offer a free consultation service helping you employ apprentices.
Matt Harvey from Free2Learn, spoke at the event. Free2Learn specialise in creating apprenticeships and trainings for sectors such as Jewellery, Retail, Leisure, Hospitality, Business Support, logistics, IT and Digital.
The briefing was designed to:
• Help you understand what the Apprenticeship Levy means and how it will impact your business
• Help you get the maximum out of the levy
• Help you understand the new Apprenticeship framework standards
• Recruit and select apprentices and develop career pathways
• Help you identify progression routes to get your existing employees onto Apprenticeships
• Create a communications and engagement strategy to drive Apprenticeships forward in your business
We were also joined by Nina Scuffil of Camden Apprenticeships and April Lavers of Heming (business who has employed apprentices).
Camden Apprenticeships also offer a free award winning Council-run recruitment service covering the following:
- developing an apprenticeship vacancy within your business
- sourcing cost-effective and good quality training
- attracting strong, local candidates
- support on request throughout your apprentice’s contract on any aspect of the apprenticeship including training provider management
Apprenticeships are a cost-effective way to tackle skills shortages, helping organisations across all industries to harness fresh talent.
If you have any questions don't hestiate to contact the BID at firstname.lastname@example.org